Monday 30 January 2012

Greetings!

Greetings! It's thebiochemist here.

This blog has been designed by myself, thebiochemist, in order to project, on a weekly basis, my thoughts on what I personally think is a very tasty subject: Biochemistry. It is a subject close to my heart...literally. As I endeavor to write my first EVER blog, I hope to learn something and maybe teach you (if you're unfortunate enough to lay your eyes upon this blog) something too!

I'm thinking about discussing current events that are circulating this topic which features at the very edges of biology. I'm a student so I hope to convey this in a non-formal way too!

For many years I have been wondering what makes life tick. What allows us to function as we do? Not only us: what allows all living organisms on this planet to carry out the process that they do?

I believe biochemistry can provide answers.

What is Biochemistry?

God knows.

Biochemistry is the study of chemical substances and process within the cells of living organisms. As you can probably tell by its name, it involves elements of both biology and chemistry so it's quite a demanding subject - which kinda makes it all the more exciting, right? :)

If you're a medicine, biological science or biophysics student, you're probably more focused on organisms, organ systems and individual organs as a whole. The amazing thing about biochemistry is that (it's better) you get to dig deeper - into a whole new world of molecules (see? this is where the nitty-gritty chemistry stuff spills in!).

What is a Blog?

I don't know actually... This is my first... I don't even know exactly what to include in it! Please send me some comments and feedback - I'm in a serious deficit and need of them.

Alrighty then, that's more than enough from me this week. I'll be sure to leave time to commit to these blogs every week. If I don't, I shall boldy face the biochemical consequences.

Exocytosis

1 comment: